Michael Gaunt is an award-winning and experienced vascular surgeon who is regarded as a leader and expert in his field. Drawing on his 33 years’ experience, he now treats in the region of 2,000 patients every year. In addition to his dedication and vast talent, he remains willing to learn new techniques and skills and compliments this with an easy-going and understanding manner.
Michael Ellis Gaunt
Date of birth:1962
Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, 30 New Road, Impington, Cambridge, CB24 9EL.
Tel 01223 305858
2000 – 2013: Consultant Vascular and General Surgeon, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust providing vascular surgery to West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket Hospital and Papworth NHS Trust. The Addenbrooke’s Vascular Unit serves a population in excess of 900,000 and receives tertiary referrals from across the East of England Region and beyond.
In the NHS I performed over 90 major vascular operations per year covering the full range of aortic surgery (abdominal and thoracoabdominal, endovascular and open), carotid surgery and limb revascularisation. In addition I performed over 200 venous procedures a year.
In 2013 I became a full-time private practitioner.
Present and past appointments
Consulting:Consultant Vascular and General Surgeon, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustConsultant Vascular Surgeon: The Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, Harley Street London, The Spire Norwich Hospital, The Bury St Edmunds BMI Hospital and The Cambridge Nuffield HospitalI see patients from all over the UK, along with many international patients.
Teaching:Honorary Lecturer, University of CambridgeSenior Anatomy Demonstrator, University of Cambridge Medical SchoolSenior Visiting Research Fellow, University of Cambridge
Hon Associate Lecturer & Senior Research Fellow, Cambridge University.
- Postgraduate Teaching:
- Cambridge MRCS course
- Cambridge Basic Surgical Skills course
- Cambridge FRCS course
- Whipps Cross Final Fellowship Course
- General Practitioner professional development
- Cambridge Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient Course
- University of Cambridge
- University of Leicester
- 1973-1977 Catterick Camp School, North Yorks
- 1977-1980 Beverley Grammar School, East Yorks.
- 1982-1988 Leicester University Medical School
1985 – BSc (Hons 2:1) Medical Sciences.
1988 – MB ChB (Distinction).
1990 – Primary FRCS (Glasgow).
1992 – FRCS (Eng), FRCS (Ed)
1996 – MD Distinction.
1999 – Intercollegiate Speciality Exam (Gen Surg)
2010 – MA (Cantab)
1988 – MB ChB Part Two: Merit. MB ChB Finals: Distinction.
1994 – Moynihan Medal, Assoc Surg GB & Ire. Awards from European Vascular Surgery, Assoc Surgeons in Training and Midland Vascular Society.
1994 – European Vascular Surgery Prize
1994 – Assoc Surgeons in Training Research Prize.
1994 – Midland Vascular Society Research Prize.
1995 – Sir Ernest Finch Research Prize.
1996 – MD – Distinction
1996/97 – Hunterian Professor of Surgery (RCSEng).
1998 – Association Surgeons GB & Ire Aud-Vis prize.
2002, 03, 05 – East of England Vascular prize.
2004 – Assoc Surg GB & Ire Vascular prize
1999, 04, 07 – Founder’s Prize,Vascular Society GB&I
2006 – Research Prize, British Cardiological Society
2009 – Venous Soc. Research Prize, Royal Soc Med
2010 – Master of Arts, Cambridge University
Committees and Societies
- Member of the Faculty of Expert Witnesses
- Executive Board (UK Representative) International Society of Vascular Surgery
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Engl)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Member of the Vascular Society of GB & Ireland
- International Member, Society for Vascular Surgery (USA)
- Member of Association of Surgeons GB & Ireland
- Chair Medical Advisory Committee, Spire Lea Hospital
- National Institute of Health Research: Expert panel.
- New England Journal of Medicine: Expert panel
- Cambridge/Yale Research Group
- General Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Venous Surgery
- Carotid and peripheral arterial disorders
- Disorders of the aorta
- Venous disorders and lymphoedema
- Over 120 peer reviewed papers on aortic, carotid, peripheral arterial and venous
- General Surgery Outpatient Decisions (1st and 2nd editions) main author. Radcliffe Publishing Ltd
- Outpatient Surgery: Clinical Decision making and Board Review (joint main editor). Radcliffe Publishing Ltd
- Vascular Surgery: A Global Perspective. European editor. Springer International Publishing
- Contributor to medical textbooks
- Undergraduate Medicine, University of Cambridge
- Invited postgraduate lectures in UK, USA, Europe and South America
- Cambridge/Yale Research Group
- National audits of carotid artery surgery, aortic aneurysm surgery and peripheral vascular reconstructions.
Nineteen years’ experience of preparing medicolegal reports and advising solicitors and barristers on a range of vascular conditions including:
- conditions of the arteries, including arterial disease, injuries, aneurysms;
- conditions of the veins, including varicose veins, venous eczema, venous ulceration; venous surgery;
- leg swelling & conditions of the lymph system including primary and secondary lymphoedema;
- vibration white finger, hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS), Raynauds syndrome.
Also, I provide reports on non-specialised general surgical conditions such as hernias and work related groin strains.
Health Service Management
1997 July – Certificate in Health Service Management – Open University. Tutor marked continuous assessment, residential course performance and end-of-course examination.
1998 September – Trent Regional Health Authority. Residential course on health service management.
2002 – 2011 – Lead Clinician, Addenbrooke’s Vascular Laboratory.