By Mr Michael Gaunt MD (Dist), MA Cantab, FRCS
- Medical Research Council 1986. £4,000 student grant and bench fee to undertake a one-year research project in basic medical science.
- The Asthma Research Council 1993. £100 basic research expenses.
- The Earnest Penn Memorial Trust 1993. £100 basic research expenses.
- The Rockfellow Foundation 1993. £100 basic research expenses.
- The British Petroleum Trust 1994. £1000 awarded for general research expenses.
- The Stroke Association 1997. £67,050 for investigation of increased mortality associated with abnormal baroreceptor function after carotid endarterectomy.
- The Stroke Association 1998. £29,056 for investigation of the haemostatic factors affecting thromboembolic potential of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy.
- The Stroke Association, 2000. £80,250 for investigation of the mechanism of baroreceptor function deterioration during carotid endarterectomy.
- The Fund and Friends of Addenbrookes 2006. £1965. Investigation of Baroreceptor function in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy.
- The Moulton Charitable Foundation 2006. £43,774. Randomised controlled trial investigation of the effect on remote ischaemic preconditioning on patients undergoing aortic surgery.
- Investigation of baroreceptor function during carotid endarterectomy.
- Investigation of haemostatic factors affecting thromboembolic potential of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy.
- Investigation of the transorbital route for transcranial Doppler monitoring for patients with hyperostosis of the skull.
- Effect of remote ischaemic preconditioning on clinical outcome in patients undergoing abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
- Effect of carotid endarterectomy on saccadic eye movements.
- Varicose vein surgery; measures to reduce postoperative pain.
- Does remote ischaemic preconditioning reduce cerebral and cardiac damage following carotid endarterectomy ISRCTN 98544952.
- Does remote ischaemic preconditioning reduce renal damage following open abdominal aortic aneurysm repair. ISRCTN 89918035
- Does remote ischaemic preconditioning reduce adverse events following endovascular aneurysm repair. ISRCTN 61182546.
- A 12 week randomised double blind trial evaluationg the effect of low-dose (10mgs) and high dose (80mgs) atorvastatin on macrophage activity and carotid plaque inflammation as determined by ultrasmall super-paramagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) enhanced carotid MRI . ISRCTN 64894118.
- Joint research with University dept of radiology funded by Glaxo Smith Kline.
- Does pre-operative serum troponin I elevation predict outcome following major vascular surgery? Prospective cohort study.
- Radiation dose associated with endovascular aortic aneurysm repair.